Hello - I’m Steven Maguire. I’ve been building software since 2004. Today, I focus on building healthy, productive technology teams. I strive to build teams offering stability, continuing education, mentorship, and career tracks.
In two short years at Earth Class Mail, I made a big impact. I grew the technology team from two members to ten and I lead the effort to stabilize the software platform. The result of this effort was a three-fold increase in company valuation. The company got acquired and I decided to leave to pursue new adventures.
I spend some of my remaining time engaging with my community:
- sharing in the Chicago tech meetup community;
- contributing to open source projects;
- authoring online training material;
- discussing product development;
- and volunteering with The All-Stars Project, Development School for Youth. My role at the DSY is a Program Associate.
Following the TrainSignal acquisition, I spent a couple years helping startups in Chicago. I served in many part-time advisory roles. And I served in one full-time staff role as Head of Engineering for Packback; I left Packback in good hands.
I graduated from ECU in 2008. I earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Digital Media Production.
As a result, filmmaking became a hobby of mine. I produced a short film in my last semester of college. Having relocated to Chicago, I joined teams to produce films for the 48 Hour Film Festival in Chicago, IL. First with Catington Station for a silent film in 2012. Second with Whiskey Muzzle for another film in 2013.
As a full-time college student, I designed and developed a lot of small projects. One of my favorite projects was a blog that focused on people named “Steven”. For that project, I conspired with my good friends, Graham and Rich.
My personal projects use of one or many of these frameworks, tools, and technologies:
- Laravel - an open source PHP framework.
- Ruby on Rails - an open source Ruby framework.
- Foundation & Bootstrap - frameworks to develop front-end code faster and better.
- Codeship - powerful continuous integration and delivery.
- Envoyer - no downtime deployment of PHP applications.
- Forge - easy server setup and management of applications tuned for PHP.
- Trello - a simple tool for organizing any project.
- Digital Ocean - simple cloud hosting, built for developers.
- Twilio - adds SMS and telephony to web applications via API.
- Pusher - provides API support to make web applications respond in real-time.
You may contact me at email@example.com.